Sunday, September 19, 2010

PEACE

Lately I've resumed an old Hippie tradition of saying "Peace" as I exit. Whether it's as I finish a conversation or I am leaving work, This has become my closing remark. I seem to have a greater emphasis in my life to the concept of peace in all my affairs. This is not to say that I've mastered the art of Peace, only that I have a greater focus on the concept and practice of Peace.
Today, during Worship at one of the several churches I attend, the medley of songs brought forth one that had the repeating line of,"Make my ax ready for war", or something like that. I glitched and looked around as I saw all the smiling faces singing along. I had to stop and question these lyrics. I just couldn't get on board. The other songs were of the, "let me shine my light" variety, but this imagery of "ax for war" didn't jibe well for me. I serve the Prince of Peace. The call on my life lately has been to show love to all of God's children. I simply couldn't(wouldn't) sing the "ax" song. I struggled with trying to find the positive meaning here. Now I understand that there are numerous scriptures that speak of war-type themes. Even Jesus is quoted as saying, " Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. Mat 10:34". Then again He is quoted later saying, " Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword shall perish by a sword. Mat 26:52". This confuses me.
It brings to mind a conversation I had with a dear friend of mine where he belittled kindness in the effort to be men of God ready to take the world by fierceness in the name of God. I had to object. I have always looked upon Kindness as a virtue worth preserving. We agreed to disagree.
I also have another friend who left organised religion to pursue the concept of Peace to the extreme. He felt that we should NEVER engage a conflict with anything other than a peaceful response. I remember getting into a comment debate with him and a friend where I used examples such as, "Your child is being beaten and raped. Would you simply stand by praying they stop, or raise your hand to stop them?" Simplistic, I agree, but I still believe that there is a time to oppose bullies. Obviously, I am still working out these issues.
During my reflection of the "ax" song, I got the image of the medic in combat. I mean, first I got the, "We all have different callings" message, and I was reminded that what I am called to do is not what other people are called to do. I need to not be too concerned about those who attach a "ax-readiness" perception to their role for Christ, just because I don't share their view. Anyway, back to my medic image. What i perceived was that even in the midst of combat, there are those who operate as healers. Giving aid to those whom the axes have injured. Perhaps that is what I am trying to be.
Peace is my calling. Love is my banner. Christ is my King. May I grow in understanding as I wrestle with the things on my soul.
"Build Bridges, not Walls"

PEACE,
Jonny    

2 comments:

  1. I like this. Very insightful and thought provoking.

    I had a thought about the 2 passages you included which you indicated confused you. The first one where he said he came to bring a sword, maybe that is figurative for the act of dying to self? The second one could be the case of sin. If we live by the law, then we are bound to it and will die, without the saving grace of Jesus. Just my perspective.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am aware of a Catholic Charismatic song based on scripture, "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. My rock, my fortress, my God." I take this and the Methodist hymn with which I grew up, "Onward CHristian soldiers, marching as to war" not as calls to physical conflict, but spiritual battle. I fear that others over the centuries have taken these very literally. In fact, I have heard one teaching from a Catholic priest of the CHarismatic REnewal speculate that Christianity's inability to separate these issues may be part of what we must learn to bring about Christian unity and to serve as witnesses "to all the world", thereby hastening the parousia.

    ReplyDelete