Saturday, October 2, 2010

"Boundary of the Known" or "Friends pt.2"

I met someone on Facebook today and enjoyed a brief back-and-forth conversation on like-minded subjects. After a bit, I sent a friend request and got back a reply that thy only become Facebook friends with those they know face-to-face. I relied that this was NP(no problem). I put it out of my mind(so I thought). Later, while surfing around, it came back to me, with questions(as is usually the case, with "curious thoughts"). It went something like this:

I couldn't help my wandering mind and I was thinking about your "boundary" of only facebooking with known friends. It stuck me first, that, "doesn't that basically defeat the purpose of it?" I mean, we already know how to connect with people we know. Ok, so then it's like a glorified communication system (i.e. New Phone). Frankly, I must admit that I have mostly connected with "people I know in person", too. Except for a couple of notable exceptions.

My first real on-line friend is a girl from Latvia named Anastasia. She has known me through my drug addicted, sexually charged late night ramblings, when I first met her on-line. She always composed herself as a lady, and a friend despite some of my less-appropriate postings. We have remained friends-t-a-distance through many life changes. She is now a nurse in England and travels extensively.

Next, I have made friendships with people like Anne Rice, whom I never would have known otherwise. We may never meet vis-a-vis, but I consider her my friend and have communicated with her.

Also, I have made a few "friends" through fellow commentors at a known-friends postings. There is something about seeing another acquaintance of a friend share thoughts that you either embrace or you reject and then enjoy a dialog on these and other issues. It's like seeing someone at a house party and being drawn to meet them.

I can truly say that I look forward to making new friends on on-line. I don't know that I'll jump up and befriend a group of random profiles, but I will make an effort to look for new friends where I can. I mean, everyone is a stranger until they become a friend. And anyway, I can use all the friends I can get! Who knows, I might even meet them in person one day, but by then we won't be strangers anymore. Just old friends who get their first embrace.

Thank you to all those around the world who "Boldly Go" into Cyberspace to make connections and establish friendships. Love thy Neighbor! YEAH!!!!!!

Peace, Jonny

1 comment:

  1. Facebook is for the people you know. Twitter is for the people you wish you knew. and Myspace is for the people you wish you NEVER met.

    ReplyDelete